“MY VIEW ON MADAM CHARLOTTE OSEI’S INTERVIEW ON JOY FM” – Boutrous Andy writes
My attention has been driven to an interview by the former EC boss, Madam Charlotte Osei with Joy FMs Winston Amoah. On the said interview Madam Osei had revealed that on Election Day she was in a beach with her children, didn’t register, didn’t vote, didn’t monitor the election process in it’s entirety. In other words she was far removed from Ghana’s electoral leading to the 2020 polls.
The interview in issue has attracted very mixed reactions across the political divide, with many opposition elements particularly in the NDC opining that, her comments were disappointing and shameful. Their basis are that she was an appointee of John Mahama and her decision to stay away from the electoral process didn’t benefit the party that appointed her.
As a conscientious feminist I like to add my voice to the ongoing debate. For starters, the basis of those critics are baseless, emotive and ill informed and I will say why in a moment.
- The decision by the former EC not to take part in the political process is based on reason and wisdom. I listened to an interview she did years ago where was asked what was her view on the current EC boss, Jean Mensah and she declined to comment when forced she said that, because of the circumstances that led to her removal, it will be extremely unfair to the current EC under Jean Adukwei Mensah. This is a woman who has vowed to be discreet, meticulous and guided by her utternaces as far as electoral affairs in Ghana are concerned.
- Madam Charlotte Osei is not a card carrying member, neither is she an NDC apparatchik who must perform her duty as party member by hook or crook. Once she is not a party member she has the prerogative to do whatever she wants to do once those actions doesn’t frown upon the laws of Ghana. Are the critics expecting her to say she registered and voted and for who?
- Madam Charlotte Osei has become a stateman or statewoman if you will. She has become an example to the world in matters of elections and all of that, so it will be incongruous for people to expect a different comment from what she has reportedly quoted as saying.
- It is even possible that she was been diplomatic and economical with the truth because because of her stateswomanship position. May be she wanted to still keep her neutrality and not seen as someone who participated in the election process, registered and voted for John Mahama to spite the despotic Akufo Addo for using illegal means to remove her from office.
- The posturing of Madam Osei on Joy FM today vindicated that she was truly an independent minded person who was never influenced or coerced by her appointor, John Mahama. Madam Osei has proven to be independent at all times in this discharge of her duties as EC chair.
So the decision by Charlotte Osei to do what she did was rooted in wisdom, diplomacy.
The author is a writer, center leftist and journalist
Send your news stories to